RCI St. Lucia
posted on July 16, 2015 15:53
The Caribbean Council for the Blind (CCB) has condemned the alleged beating of a blind man, 21-year-old Malcolm Cephas by police authorities in Barbuda last month.
CEO for the council Arvel Grant said the CCB believes several of the victim’s human rights were violated.
Cephas, who has been blind since he was six years old, said he was leaning against a car during a night out back in June when a man who did not identify himself grabbed him around the neck. Being unable to see his attacker, Cephas bit the man in retaliation. He said he only found out it was a police officer afterwards when those nearby alerted him. The morning after the incident police allegedly came to his home and escorted him to the police station where the alleged beating took place. He sustained injuries to the face and neck.
Grant also said that Cephas’ relatives have informed him that the young man’s eyes are still swollen and running pus after the incident, which is said to have taken place in mid-June. He described the development as “disheartening”.
He added that the CCB would do everything in its power to ensure that Cephas gets the medical attention he needs.
Grant further called on the police to clarify the status of their investigation to the public.
He said the officers were acting outside the jurisdiction of their roles as police when they allegedly punished Cephas.
Last week, head of the Antigua & Barbuda Association for Persons with Disabilities, Bernard Warner took to the airwaves to call for the suspension of the officers involved in the alleged incident.