View Article

12

Reports in sections of the British media said that just hours after he scored a first-class best 326 not out on Monday (May 11), Kevin Pietersen had been told by Andrew Strauss, the new England director of cricket, that the England team still had no place for him.

Pietersen surpassed his previous first-class best of 254 in a mammoth innings for Surrey in their County Championship Division Two match against Leicestershire at The Oval. His runs came in just 373 balls as he hit 34 fours and 14 sixes to all corners of the south London venue in Surrey's first-innings total of 528 for 9.

Pietersen, who has hoped for an England recall since being axed in the aftermath of their 2013-14 Ashes defeat in Australia, revealed immediately after the day's play that he was due to meet Strauss and Tom Harrison, the chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board, to discuss his international future.

Said Pietersen. "I was told to go and get a county, I was told to score runs, I think I'm scoring runs.

But, according to BBC reports later in the day, Strauss used the meeting to confirm to Pietersen that he would not be allowed back into the fold.
Actions: E-mail | Permalink |
© 2018 by RCI St. Lucia   |   Login